Tuesday, 24 January 2017

Editor & Cinematographer

For our main task I will be taking on the role of the Editor in our group. The Editor is key a member of the production team as they are in charge of putting together and tweaking the shots they receive from the cinematographer. As I am working in a pair with Taylor, I have also taken on the role of cinematographer as well due to a lack of team members. This extra responsibility will mean I will also be in charge of filming our opening. These two roles will mean i will be working closely with the director and producer, which coincidentally, Taylor has taken. Teamwork is essential with these roles, we must make sure that we work together efficiently in order to produce a short opening of good quality

What does a film editor do?

Editing usually takes place once all the filming has been completed, however there are times when certain footage is out of sequence and is given to the editor and different times. This means that they need to know what is going on in the film so they can place certain shots in the right places. As Taylor is the director. We will work together during the editing stage, she will decide, with the aid of my opinion, what are the best shots to use and where she would like them placed.

In a simple term editing is just the rearranging of film to allow the film to make sense as well as cutting out the poor material. However, when editing a film it can be seen in a more complex manor as much more can be done to manipulate the film to see fit i.e. cutting dialogue, re-ordering action in the film etc. I hope that I am able to do the more complex editing on our film. For example if there is a mishap in the filming where the dialogue doesn't fit or action just looks out of place, I hope I will be able to use my editing skills to the best of my ability and fix it.

Titles we be a main aspect of our opening to a film as we want to highlight who has done what etc. I think this will be most challenging as on our preliminary task our titles were very poor/tacky. I hope to upgrade my technique on how to apply titles in the editing stage. I am going to watch videos o YouTube on my spare time to help me with my goal

What does a cinematographer do?
I have also taken on the role of cinematographer. The cinematographer is the one who is responsible for the filming of the film. I will be head of camera and lighting department. A cinematographer is also in charge of creating a visual identity of the film, whether that be action, horror etc. One quality of being a cinematographer is being creative, coming from a performing arts background i feel as though I already have this characteristic.

We won't be having any camera crew with us on the day so I will not be taking charge of any one else. I will work closely with Taylor, the producer/director, as she has the final say in what shots looks good and what do not. I do think that i need to work on my camera skills. Perhaps practicing different shots with the camera on my phone may help me.

As i will be in charge of lighting when we film our main task opening, which we are setting at night. I will need to find some sort of resolution to try and figure out what I will use in poorly lit areas. This is someone I need to consider with Taylor, who is in charge of the whole production.

No comments:

Post a Comment